Saturday, May 26, 2012

WELCOME TO ARMENIA!

We arrive at the airport at 4:30am and Peace Corps staff were waiting outside with signs for us, a huge shuttle, and a truck for all of our luggage haha. LOTS OF LUGGAGE.

They take us to the ruins of Zvartnots Cathedral from the 17th c. AD to see the sunrise at this breathtakingly beautiful historic location, have breakfast, and meet all of our new PC staff.

It was dark for a good while before the sun rose haha it was way too early.
See the sun rising on the top right?! Those are the Mountains of Ararat in Turkey... which they stole from Armenia :(
We were tired, cold, excited, in awe, nervous, and a bunch of other emotions all at once, but we all had this adrenalin rush and just had a good time while enjoying the view. For Example.... lol

New friends. Such blessings.
We went down to the torture chambers underground haha funnn
Top left: David's "myspace picture" which I called "FOB picture" haha
Bottom Left: my first roommate Marisa who is just so darling!

We got back onto the shuttle after a few shpeels here and there and headed off to resorts somewhere about an hour away. Blah blah blah blah blah. Food here is GREAT. Instead of losing weight, I think I will be gaining according to the Armenians and PCV's already here... haha SAD. I got placed into a village of 5 villages with 12 other trainees. I will be in small village and with 3 wonderful teachers (Hasmik, Anna, and Inga) who will help us, train us, teach us, and be with us for the whole 3 months of training in our village. I've been told I will be living with a host family on my own and they will most likely have children! Yipee. Just what I wanted. We had our first language class today for just an hour and learned all about safety, health, and what to expect.

Alright, well it's way past my bedtime. I am exactly 12 hours ahead of y'all so my 8pm is your 8am haha Okay! One last picture :)

The view outside our resort. All mountains. All green. Such beauty.
(NOTE: Thanks David for letting me steal all your pics AGAIN!)

No comments:

Post a Comment