Our LAST NIGHT! before we all separate into our own host families. How exciting and intimidating all at the same time! It really all begins tomorrow...
We have been prepared, told what to expect (sort of haha), and are ready to pack-up, AGAIN, and move into our new homes with new families for the next 3 months! We have had only two language classes so far and yet we will be dropped off to our new homes tomorrow afternoon and will live with an Armenian family in our villages during our Pre-Service Training (PST). How in the world am I going to say ANYTHING to them?! I love getting to know people and finding out about their lives and what they're interested in, but I have a strong feeling there will be a lot of silence, hand gestures, and maybe even some miming going on tomorrow for dinner haha GOTTA LOVE IT! Like Peace Corps says, we gotta be flexible!
Just a few interesting facts they taught us about Armenian families today:
~ Children are THE center of attention in the Armenian family. I will be considered a child of this family. Therefore I'll be getting TONS of attention (which I'm used to HAHA just kidding :p)
~ No shoes in the house, no flip flops to work, no laying on top of bed covers, no jackets or jeans on bed.
~ I will be fed A LOT. If my plate is slightly empty, it will be filled. If I say I'm not hungry, my plate will be piled on with food. If I'm on the table for dinner, there WILL be a shot glass filled with vodka... ARMENIAN vodka... very strong potent stuff that you ALL know I can't handle haha
~ You can't wave or talk for long periods of time to the opposite sex in public or it will be considered taboo... or they'll assume "something else."
There were loads more that we learned but those were the few that stuck out to me. I'll let you all know more about my family and village and situation as soon as I figure it out! I can't wait to tell you all about it. For now, I will leave you with a picture of my dear family back home cause starting tomorrow I will be a part of another family! hehe
I CAN'T WAIT

Aw, how cute is your family picture! I can't wait to see your new family pic!
ReplyDeletegood luck with the Armenian vodka and NO waving and talking for long periods of time!!!! bahah
ReplyDelete