July 4, 2012 (Wednesday)
Happy Independence Day! Happy 4th of July!
My friend Kate and I attempted to make a feast for our families for this special “American day,” and it turned out alright, but it definitely wasn’t the best! Our baked macaroni and cheese ended up hard and crunchy, the fried chicken was okay, I attempted to make guacamole and chips, but most of them have never seen an avocado before so it was just strange to them. The potato salad was probably the most successful. Then there was a cake, M&M cookies, chocolate, fruits, and fruit punch (with a bit of vodka hehe)! There were no men at this little party cause the dads were all at work and none of our brothers were in Armenia anymore SOOOO just the girls had vodka shots and drank wine haha my mom loved it. Armenian’s really love their alcohol and making cheers every single time.
Later that night my dad took me to the mountains to his “secret place” where him and his friends go to all the time since they were young to get drunk or have BBQ haha it was BEAUTIFUL! In the mountains near this church he put a table, and stuck all these tiny wax candles along the mountain-side. It was a real romantic setting, but with a bunch of old men and my mom and sister HAHA the moon was also super big and the stars were everywhere! I was so in love with the night I didn’t know what to do with myself. I just kept saying “shaut siroon, shaut shaut siroomem” (really pretty, super duper, I love it a lot). One of his friends had this HUGE lighter and if you know me at all, I always have a lighter with me, it’s a weird thing, but I told him I thought it was super cool and he just handed it over to me. Now I have this huge lighter displayed on my desk! Loving it.
Like I said, I had to come back to Yerevan alone, but it really wasn’t bad! Not scary at all and actually really comfortable cause I had some time to myself and got to relax and listen to some music for 2 hours in a relatively smooth ride in a big type of tour bus. My 2-hour ride was also less than $3! Can’t believe how cheap things are here. I gave the grandpa sitting next to me a piece of chocolate half-way there and he was really happy J After getting off the bus I had to take a Marshutini to the Peace Corps office, but I didn’t really know my way so the bus man helped me. After getting on the correct Marshutini, I guess I missed my stop, but the driver asked me where I was supposed to go and he said that he would turn around in 5 minutes and help me out. He made me come up to the front to sit with him so that he wouldn’t forget about me again haha and then after getting to the right stop, I tried to pay him but he wouldn’t let me! He said it was free and that he was just glad to meet me. Isn’t that sweet?! Armenians are just too kind. Again, I am IN LOVE with this country!
While I was away this weekend my sister in my first village, Gayane, text and called me every day. Kept making sure everything was okay and reminded me constantly that she missed me and was so alone L We even skyped each other one night so she can meet my new family! I AM TOO ATTACHED TO MY FIRST FAMILY! How in the world am I going to leave them and start all over with this new family?! Such a dilemma. I really have to be careful about this. If you know me at all, you know how attached I can get to people and things and animals, etc etc! Yikes.
On the day my brother was leaving for Russia I text him, said my goodbyes, and called him a “houss (pig)” one last time. He later called me an hour before his flight at the airport and we had an understandable conversation all in Armenian with jokes and everything! He said he was glad to have met me and that he was sad to go! That was it! Gone for a year or more…
I came back to my home here in my small village and was greeted with huge hugs and kisses from my mom and sister. And that was that weekend! Glad to be home. Is that weird to say? It was a “home sweet home” feeling and man did it feel good!
Saw a double rainbow!!! Surely made my day J Wrote my name in Armenian in the fog on the window of our bus and just watched the double rainbow for 30 minutes. Sounds like a scene in a movie… I even had my headphones in playing Chris Tomlin.
I’m going to my new site tomorrow for three days as a sort of “trial.” I’m excited and scared and tired and happy all at once. I’ll let you know how it goes! One thing I do know is that coming back from our new site, we have to figure out how to travel on our own back to the capital, Yerevan. Peace Corps wants us to “study” how to get around on our own haha eeeks!
Just found out my brother is leaving for good in two days! After this and that he is finally leaving and I won’t get to see him off cause I’ll be in my new site! My new site is about 2 hours away from Yerevan, which is about 45 minutes away from my village right now, so a total of about 3 hours. My brother said that with his driving and knowledge of the roads he could get me in less than 1.5 hours, but he won’t even be here anymore so it doesn’t matter! I’ll just have to make the 3 hour trip to come visit my family here.
“ARACHEEN ANKAUM HAUNDEEPAUL” = To Meet For The First Time
Today is the day we meet our new counterparts and get to know them.
Long story short … I LOVE HER! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! I’ll have to explain later cause I don’t have a lot of time now, but I am SO HAPPY and I know we’re going to be the best of friends. Oh! And she’s short too!! Shorter than me! Heaven sent?! I think YES! Haha
Happy Independence Day! Happy 4th of July!
My friend Kate and I attempted to make a feast for our families for this special “American day,” and it turned out alright, but it definitely wasn’t the best! Our baked macaroni and cheese ended up hard and crunchy, the fried chicken was okay, I attempted to make guacamole and chips, but most of them have never seen an avocado before so it was just strange to them. The potato salad was probably the most successful. Then there was a cake, M&M cookies, chocolate, fruits, and fruit punch (with a bit of vodka hehe)! There were no men at this little party cause the dads were all at work and none of our brothers were in Armenia anymore SOOOO just the girls had vodka shots and drank wine haha my mom loved it. Armenian’s really love their alcohol and making cheers every single time.
Later that night my dad took me to the mountains to his “secret place” where him and his friends go to all the time since they were young to get drunk or have BBQ haha it was BEAUTIFUL! In the mountains near this church he put a table, and stuck all these tiny wax candles along the mountain-side. It was a real romantic setting, but with a bunch of old men and my mom and sister HAHA the moon was also super big and the stars were everywhere! I was so in love with the night I didn’t know what to do with myself. I just kept saying “shaut siroon, shaut shaut siroomem” (really pretty, super duper, I love it a lot). One of his friends had this HUGE lighter and if you know me at all, I always have a lighter with me, it’s a weird thing, but I told him I thought it was super cool and he just handed it over to me. Now I have this huge lighter displayed on my desk! Loving it.
June 30 – July 3, 2012 (Weekend)
My new host family. New location. New job.
TWO-YEAR COMMITMENT SITE.
I really don’t feel like writing everything
cause there’s just too much and I’m so tired! I’ve been taking ginseng pills to
get over this exhaustion, but I think I just need one day to sit around, listen
to music, watch shows, and be a couch potato haha I know, I’m lazy! But because
I want you to know all the little cool things I did this weekend, I shall list
them! à
·
My new family makes me eat
CONSTANTLY. All the time. Every minute, every hour! It’s ridiculous how skinny
they are for the amount they eat! Granted they don’t eat like pigs, but they do
eat all the time and force-feed me every chance they get!
·
My new mom doesn’t want me to
call her “mom” cause she thinks she’s too young to be my mom and it doesn’t
seem like my parents want to grow up or be considered old haha they’re cute.
Super adorable young couple.
| Minus my new sister who was taking the picture! |
·
New sister and brother.
Sister’s name is Areksia, she is 15, and she has the most gorgeous long
light-brown slightly curly hair. Brother’s name is Karlos, he is 13, and he is
obsessed with soccer. He even gave me this little pink soccer ball keychain and
I got to watch him play in his school team. He plays every morning and he’s
really good too! I introduced UNO Cards to them and now I have to play it EVERY
night with them haha (bad choice :p)
·
My new “papeek,” grandpa, is a
goof! He always pushes the back of my head and says I’m his new girl and then
goes off in speaking Russian and German to me with such enthusiasm. He’s kind
of crazy… haha honestly! He’s odd and loves to just keep talking even though my
face obviously shows complete confusion. He also comes to the kitchen in the
morning and takes a shot of vodka HAHA I will definitely not have a dull moment
with him.
·
I have a second-floor bedroom
with my own bed, closet, desk, baby crib, mirror, outlets, and windows! I AM
SET. Also, the house is being re-built right now so when I come back in a month
to permanently live there, my room will be newly painted and things will be
fixed-up a bit. On that note, I had to take my first cold shower in Armenia
cause our shower is a bit old, but I think my new parents kind of knew I had to
take an uncomfortable shower so later that day they went and got a new shower
head and installed it before night time came around. SO SWEET! My dad was so
excited that he dragged me into the bathroom, turned on the water multiple
times just to show me how smooth it was, and made me feel the hot water. I
think I will really love them.
·
One thing I do want to complain
about are the lambs outside my window! Every morning, 6am, they are
“BAAAAA-ing” like crazy and it sounds like kids crying for their moms. Every
morning I was there I ended up waking-up at 6am because of those darn sheep!
Haha I guess I’ll have to get used to it. No biggie! Peace Corps always tells
us to be “flexible.”
| He told me he's going to kill a sheep for me when I come back in a month! haha.. yay(?) |
·
Watched my mom milk a cow for
the first time this weekend! It was interesting. It looks like hard work too.
Her hands were tired after one cow and this might sound weird, but the cows
utters (?) looked red too haha eew. I told her next time I would try and do it,
but I was too scared to try this time. The milk was also really interesting to
look at. Later I watched her make the milk into cheese. She told me I can make
the cheese next time as well.


|
| Super SUPER fresh milk. |
·
Went to a nearby English
teacher’s house to meet her and her new twins because she really wanted a
volunteer in her school, but the school director didn’t want one so instead she
wanted to meet me and become my friend. Again, she fed me like I had an endless
pit in my stomach, and of course, I had to eat or else it would slightly be
offensive! Haha but by the end of it all she wanted me to be her kids
Godmother! I said I was down and that I would be a part of the whole Armenian
traditional ceremony and everything! Ahaha AWESOME.
·
Went to see the school I would
be teaching in for two years and meet the school director and a couple
teachers… I AM SUPER BLESSED. The school is only about a year old. It’s
absolutely gorgeous and big and FANTASTIC! I was shocked as to how beautiful it
was. Apparently the President of Armenia even came to congratulate the school
and take a look. He might even provide some new furniture soon. We have a
computer lab, sports complex, and really nice classrooms. The pictures explain it
all!
·
My counterpart and school
director and other teachers were all super glad to see me. No one had any
“beef” with me and they all wanted me there. Previous volunteers and staff
would tell us that a lot of volunteers had it rough with people who didn’t want
them there and would give them a hard time, but I don’t think that will be my
case at all! My director can speak some English and already told me she wanted
me to start a choir group and have them perform a month after I arrive there
because it’s Teacher’s Day in September and it’s her dream for students to
perform in English.
Like I said, I had to come back to Yerevan alone, but it really wasn’t bad! Not scary at all and actually really comfortable cause I had some time to myself and got to relax and listen to some music for 2 hours in a relatively smooth ride in a big type of tour bus. My 2-hour ride was also less than $3! Can’t believe how cheap things are here. I gave the grandpa sitting next to me a piece of chocolate half-way there and he was really happy J After getting off the bus I had to take a Marshutini to the Peace Corps office, but I didn’t really know my way so the bus man helped me. After getting on the correct Marshutini, I guess I missed my stop, but the driver asked me where I was supposed to go and he said that he would turn around in 5 minutes and help me out. He made me come up to the front to sit with him so that he wouldn’t forget about me again haha and then after getting to the right stop, I tried to pay him but he wouldn’t let me! He said it was free and that he was just glad to meet me. Isn’t that sweet?! Armenians are just too kind. Again, I am IN LOVE with this country!
While I was away this weekend my sister in my first village, Gayane, text and called me every day. Kept making sure everything was okay and reminded me constantly that she missed me and was so alone L We even skyped each other one night so she can meet my new family! I AM TOO ATTACHED TO MY FIRST FAMILY! How in the world am I going to leave them and start all over with this new family?! Such a dilemma. I really have to be careful about this. If you know me at all, you know how attached I can get to people and things and animals, etc etc! Yikes.
On the day my brother was leaving for Russia I text him, said my goodbyes, and called him a “houss (pig)” one last time. He later called me an hour before his flight at the airport and we had an understandable conversation all in Armenian with jokes and everything! He said he was glad to have met me and that he was sad to go! That was it! Gone for a year or more…
I came back to my home here in my small village and was greeted with huge hugs and kisses from my mom and sister. And that was that weekend! Glad to be home. Is that weird to say? It was a “home sweet home” feeling and man did it feel good!
June 29, 2012 (Friday)
Saw a double rainbow!!! Surely made my day J Wrote my name in Armenian in the fog on the window of our bus and just watched the double rainbow for 30 minutes. Sounds like a scene in a movie… I even had my headphones in playing Chris Tomlin.
![]() |
| Two different days. First picture of the double rainbow! Do you see it? Second picture of THE biggest rainbow I've ever seen in my life! And you can see the end too! |
I’m going to my new site tomorrow for three days as a sort of “trial.” I’m excited and scared and tired and happy all at once. I’ll let you know how it goes! One thing I do know is that coming back from our new site, we have to figure out how to travel on our own back to the capital, Yerevan. Peace Corps wants us to “study” how to get around on our own haha eeeks!
Just found out my brother is leaving for good in two days! After this and that he is finally leaving and I won’t get to see him off cause I’ll be in my new site! My new site is about 2 hours away from Yerevan, which is about 45 minutes away from my village right now, so a total of about 3 hours. My brother said that with his driving and knowledge of the roads he could get me in less than 1.5 hours, but he won’t even be here anymore so it doesn’t matter! I’ll just have to make the 3 hour trip to come visit my family here.
June 28, 2012 (Thursday)
“ARACHEEN ANKAUM HAUNDEEPAUL” = To Meet For The First Time
Today is the day we meet our new counterparts and get to know them.
Long story short … I LOVE HER! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! I’ll have to explain later cause I don’t have a lot of time now, but I am SO HAPPY and I know we’re going to be the best of friends. Oh! And she’s short too!! Shorter than me! Heaven sent?! I think YES! Haha
![]() |
| Counterparts sister, Me, Counterpart! Love both of them |








So much to comment about! I wish I could comment for each post, but I'll just comment all at once here. Yay, you get to milk a cow! I like things like that. I think I could totally get used to sheeps baa-ing at 6am every day. Such a natural way to wake up! (Lol). I also love hearing how close you got with your first family. Man, I can't believe you can even have conversations over the phone i Armenian already! What?! No hand gestures?? DANG! Lots of cute stories on these past few posts! The nice bus driver on the way home, your new place & new family, new school you'll be teaching, night out on the mountain with the stars. How cool. I feel like I finding out so much more about you. Like I didn't know you always carried a lighter? For what? You don't smoke! Haha, anyway good to hear how you are doing. Thanks for sharing your stories with us. I love them!
ReplyDeleteDear Andrea
ReplyDeleteThis post makes me happy that you are doing so well and enjoying it. Haha. The comment about your dad from the previous post about how it seems like you are on vacation, it sure does! But I know deep down it is a lot of hard work! Great job with trying to cook a July 4th meal! Where are the pictures woman?!?? I bet it tasted great! Interesting how other countries besides ours start so early. Like in Japan, the cicadas at 6AM were killer, but thats when everyone started their day. Guess it is the same there but with sheep! Haha. You'll get use to it soon? Hopefully. Haha. Your new host family and godchildren are adorable!! And your school looks AMAZING. Seriously. That's great you got placed there. I'm glad you are doing well and safe!! Keep posting. I miss you!