February 20, 2013
I got my Valentine’s Day gift today! KooKoo, my bunny! Now I
didn’t realize that “kookoo” could mean “crazy” til after I turned my “Armenian
brain” off and turned my “English brain” on, but I swear it’s a cute name for
Armenians.
I was eating corn while my student was describing the bunny
to me via Facebook and he kept telling me the bunny was yellow, and as I was
eating corn, aka “koo-koo-roos” in Armenian, VOILA! “KooKoo” it was to be
named! Cute, right? … ?
KooKoo’s Tale
Day 1.
Hey, kiddo! Welcome to your new family! ~ KooKoo came
with an older friend, Lulu, but I just didn’t have enough space and time to
take care of the both of them. But they both had a blast with my COAF (Children
of Armenia Foundation) class and our lesson for the day was about animals and
how awesome they are :) :) :)


Look at how many friends KooKoo came with! Thanks Narek
for KooKoo and thanks Argishti for bringing LuLu for the day so KooKoo wasn’t
lonely.


I bring KooKoo home in a shoebox with one of my old
skirts for comfort and without any hesitation he starts to chow down on the
greens I brought for him. He’s a little piggy! Eats any chance he gets haha.
My host sisters first time actually holding a bunny.
Props for her courage! She was scared KooKoo would pee or poo on her, but good
thing there were no accidents there! BUT, an hour later our cousin Minas comes
over and takes a liking towards KooKoo, picks him up and puts him on his lap…
it took one second, “PISSSSS” right on his lap! We all told him it was good
luck, which apparently Armenians really do believe, and I told him that it was
because KooKoo especially liked him.


KooKoo sprawls out his legs on my belly and we take a nap
together next to the wood (sheep poop) burner where it’s warm. Later that night
I let him sleep in his box in my room and man was it a tough night! I woke up
to thumbs and skitter-skatter at 2am, 4am, 5am, and 6am… it was like having a
new puppy at home! I kept waking up thinking he somehow jumped out of his box and
was jumping about everywhere. End of Day One.
Day 2.
KooKoo meets two more of his cousins, Manya and Marine!
Just like everyone else who had seen him the other day, they’ve never seen a
rabbit like him before, with his color and eyes and ear size… he’s a special
one. A real special rabbit. They all say he’s probably from the wild and
different from the usual ones bred at home. He’s my little gift from God cause He
knew I needed something fluffy to keep me company and that with all this
unfriendliness towards animals I’ve been witnessing lately, a sweet harmless
bunny could help me somehow display love and affection towards animals and help
that practice spread to my neighbors and community.
KooKoo gets a free box! I asked the market lady if she
had a box to spare and she asked me what it was for, “what’s it for? You going
to store clothes in it or something?” Sure, that would’ve been a normal
response. Nothing new. But then I go and give her a shocker, I whisper, “no,
it’s for my new bunny.” Let me tell you, this is so much more hilarious if you
knew their culture and if you heard this conversation in Armenian! Haha. She
looks at me with huge eyes and just smiles and giggles.
An hour later, we go back to the store and I ask her for the
biggest diapers she has. She says, “for the bunny?!” with the strangest look on
her face… “yup, for my bunny.” She pulls out these huge granny diapers, 300
drams a piece, my host sister looks at the size of these diapers and says,
“what kind of baby wears this big of a diaper?!” She was dead serious.
HAHAHAHA. We all had a good laugh then left. On our way home my host sister
tells me that the people in the store thought it strange I was spending money
for an animal because you would never “waste” money on an animal in the
villages. I hadn’t realized! But COOL, I made someone in my village think about
me and my actions towards caring for this animal. Let others think I’m strange
for caring so much about a bunny, if it’ll make them notice and think about how
much love I have for a “useless” animal… hey, at least it’ll make them think.
House made! Sign up. Umbrella up. Water bowl, tunnel
tubes, bed, pee pad, and cuddly companion!
KooKoo pees on his diaper! TWICE! But I don’t know if that’s
just coincidence or I got a one-of-a-kind bunny that’s complete genius.
He got his first slice of apple today and absolutely loved
it. Devoured it.
I get peed on when I was trying to comfort KooKoo after my
host sister gave him a scare… and man does rabbit pee smell awful!
IT’S A BOY! KooKoo’s a boy! It’s official! I kept saying
“he/his/him” without actually knowing if he was a he or a she, but today my
host grandfather took a long look and concluded KooKoo was indeed a boy.
_________________________________________________________________________________
February 15, 2013: I say Football now!
My host brother made it to a football/soccer league in
Yerevan! That’s a big deal here. Once you get into one of these type of teams
you can eventually be recruited into an actual team like Barcelona or Real
Madrid (which are the top 2 famous teams here in Armenia). For many Armenian
boys here, becoming a soccer player is like a dream, a way out of their
villages, a way to the top and the riches… their “ticket out.” Reminds me of
the movie “Hoop Dreams” where many African-Americans look towards basketball as
their one-way ticket to riches and fame and a life outside of where they’re
from. My host brother lived and breathed soccer… it was all he could think
about day and night: school, soccer practice, soccer with friends, home, soccer
game on the computer, YouTube clips of soccer, Facebook pictures of famous
soccer players, and then a soccer game on TV. If there was extra time in-between
somewhere he would kick a ball around in his room.
Now that he’s on this team he has to go out to the capital
city every day after school for practice. Yerevan City is a two hour drive out
from our village.
2 hours there + 2 hour practice + 2 hours back = SACRIFICE.
Boys from villages out of the capital city really have to
change their whole lifestyle. Families have to figure out how to get their sons
out of the village and into the city in order to not waste time and money going
back and forth every day. There’s no way the whole family can pick-up-and-go
because of family ties in the villages and/or farms, and especially the
high-expenses of living in the capital so instead the boys have to move out on
their own, live with an extended family member who’s willing to help out or
somehow rent a room, if they can afford it… it’s a big move for these small
village families, but it’s a move they’re willing to make for the smallest
chance that their son will make it to a Barcelona or become a Christiano
Ronaldo (or David Beckham for those who don’t know the first).
I realized this type of chance seems a lot more plausible to
these families than the chance of education being able to take them high
places. Not to say everyone is this way, but even from a cultural view the
difference is so apparent. Growing up all I could think of was school,
homework, test, school, homework, test, and then a project here and there. This
was what everyone was doing, there was competition in school, and we had to get
our A+. Again, like I said, not everyone is this way in America, but there’s a
huge difference of what is “norm” or “expected” in America and in Armenia.
America: Go to school, listen to your teacher, get
good grades, pass your exams, do your homework, read “To Kill A Mockingbird”
for English class, and make your Solar System for science.
Armenia: Go to school, listen to your teacher, grades don’t matter
cause you’ll pass the class anyway, bad grades reflect worse on the teacher
than on the students, no real exams, homework is more or less optional, go home
and help the family on the farm.
Now don’t go thinking it’s all like this, but can you see
the difference?




How come no one ever comments on your posts?! They are awesome to read! So insightful. It's like reading someone's diary almost. So cool! Thanks for sharing your stories. I love hearing how about your experiences. :)
ReplyDelete